Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Bought a couple of patterns at the thrift store

One of the local thrift stores, the Balch Springs Thrift Store, sells sewing patterns for $.65 Not a great price, and most of their stock is unwearably 80s, but I found a couple of keepers.
I picked up Simplicity 9360. This pattern was published by Simplicity for its 60th anniversary back in the 80s. I suppose if they're celebrating their 80th this year then this was published 20 years ago. I'm not obsessing. I really like the second one with the capetlet. I'd really like it best, I think, without the white park on there. Let period, but cuter. It would make it much less modest. I'm also not fond of the skirt length, that would not look flattering on my figure. That said, there's something about it I like. Also I found the smaller version and its uncut so I'm going to have to size up the biggest size, a 12, to a 14/16. I love the little dog though and I so want to take Luna walking while wearing something as stylized as this. This pic came from Old Patterns who have the bigger sized one available.

As my camera is still missing, I cannot post a pic of my next pattern since I cannot find a copy online. It's Kwik Sew 872. I've never sewed Kwik Sew before. Its uncut as far as I could tell and contains S, M, L, and XL. I think I'll make the Medium. So it was published in 1977 and a robe pattern. It's kinda a caftan. I think it'll be a nice reimagining of the summer maxi dress for Fall. The following pic is sort of a looser version from John Leaonard, some sort of clothing company I guess. I'm going for a much more fitted style and something like a v neck.


I'm a little nervous about the Kwik Sew pattern since its printed on white, almost completely opaque pattern versus the browner tissue paper. Strange.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't worry about the Kwik Sew Pattern. I made a pair of Kwik Sew swimming togs for a friend, and the pattern and instructions were excellent! Also, thank for the comment about New Look 6557 - I'd definitely recommend it :)

Unknown said...

That's a nice looking white gown. I bought one similar from Gaiam and am now thinking I could have made one for much less and it would have looked just as good. Only trouble is, finding time to sew! :-)