Monday, November 12, 2007

Some different and sort of healthy recipes

So I love to rush, pell-mell into things. I love to try new things and discover new things and places and can be eaily bored. Just like a character in my story (no not the MC). Last night I made naan bread, sort of. I used a mixture of whole wheat and soy flour and fried it rather then grilling. Oh, and I couldn't find my pre-minced garlic that I buy in that huge jar from Wal Mart. :( Anyway, so here's my naan recipes, although its not to similar to naan and I think of it more as just a fried bread recipe.

Healthier Naan
1 packet of Dry Active Yeast
3 tablespoons of milk
3 eggs(beaten
1/4 cup of white sugar
1 cup of hot-warm water
1 cup of soy flour
1 cup of whole wheat flour
3 tsp of salt

1.So I mixed the yeast, the water, and the sugar up and let it get all bubbly and added the milk and eggs and mixed so more

2.then added the soy flour, mixed it up

3. then added the salt and whole wheat flour and kept mixing, it was still really wet, so I added more soy and wheat. I tried to keep it just about half and half.

4.Then I put flour on the counter top and covered my hands with olive oil and started working it and just kept kneading it and putting more olive oil on my hand as it disappeared into the bread.

5.Then I turned on the oven and the overhead light and covered it with a warm, wet, paper towel and let it sit for an hour or so.

6. When it had doubled in size, I punched it down, covered it with a fresh warm towel, and then left it more half an hour or so more.

7. Then I started taking handfuls and smoothing it into a rough circle shape and making it thing and placing it on a floured tray that soon ran out of space and was replaced with another tray.

8. Then get out a skillet and turn the heat to medium (too high and you get wonderful blackmarks) and put enough olive oil in the pan to cover the bottom thinly and let it heat up. Then I sprinkled garlic salt on it since I'd no garlic :(

9. When the pan is ready, put the first peice of bread into it and let it cook for a couple of minutes each side.

It came out really tasty, but not as bubbly as the naan from the store. Still flavorful and white flour free, so A+ for effort. I was going to eat the naan with some Chicken Tikka Masala, but the only chicken bre4ast I could find was bone in :( so I simply marinaded the bone in chicken breast in the typical yogurt-spice marinade overnight and it came out looked and smelling very nice, so I stuck them in the oven cause I didn't feel like cleaning off the grill and using that. I cooked them at 425 for 35 minutes and they still needed time, but I needed work so I hope my Dad will take the out of the oven when the timer goes off. He also promised to plates them and cover them with press and seal wrap after they cool off a bit. I didn't end up making the tomato cream sauce, so right now it simply yogurt marinaded chicken, but maybe I'll add the sauce today if I feel like cooking upon entry to my home.

I also made some Pumpkin cheesecake.

Recipe
1 8 oz package of cream cheese
1/2 8 oz package of neauchatel cream cheese
1/2 8 oz package of fat free cream cheese
1 cup of fat free sour cream
2 tablespoons heavy cream
1 cup pumpkin
1 tsp vanilla
as much pumpkin pie spice as you like
1 egg
2 egg yolks
2/3 cup splenda

1. So I left the cream cheese out on the counter for an hour while workin on the naan and chicken and other things. Then I put it into a plastic bowl and nuked it for 30 sec. Preheat the oven to 325

2. Then I added the vanilla and splenda, and pumpkin pie spice and mixed until smooth.

3. Then I added the eggs and mixed until smooth and integrated.

4. Then came the pumpkin which (you guessed it) I mized until smooth and integrated.

5. Then came the sour cream and havy cream. and mixing.

7. I sprayed a small casserole dish with butter flavored cooking spray and poured the mix into it.

8. Put into oven and cook for 1 hour or until the fork comes out clean from the center.

Now it did crack on me, but as this dessert is FOR me, I don't care about it, but you may. I used all these low fat things because that's what was in the frindge and my full fat alternatives disappear. Yes, my parents buy the low fat stuff, but tehy don't want to use it and use my stuff instead, oh bugger bear.

So this is what I did yesterday and today, not particularly productive, but hopefully I'll do better in the future. And that dress I'm working on has languished on the end of my bed all weekedn, so close to being completed and yet so far. It's a good thing I'm used to curling up so there's space on my twin sized bed for me, my computer (not too often), Luna, and unfinished sewing projects and unopened mail.

No comments: