Thursday, November 15, 2007

On Feminism and Cartwheels Part 1


I couldn't resist the title when it occured to me this morning after doing some cartwheels for the first time in MANY years. I suppose it was all that blood going to me head. Do cartwheels and feminism relate except in my head. The one is a childish past-time that somehow becomes unexceptional as an adult.

You do cartwheels for fun as a child. But when you grow into adulthood excercise is no longer supposed to be fun. It's a harsh, demanding time that you sffer through so you can look younger, more attractive, and be healthier. Ever heard the expression "no pain no gain" or "suffer though the pain, its better on the other side"? I sometimes wonder if we should push ourselves to do things like eliptical machines and treadmills that are boring and not fun simply because they are supposed to be good for us. Isn't it better to run outside if possible? But is running really necessary in any case? Some people love running. I like it well enough.

I've experienced the high endorphines from running and the sudden burst of energy to do more and the fun from just running through everything. But I don't force myself to run and maybe I should start. Running burns a heapload of calories, increases cardiovascular health, and can feel good. Sometimes motivation is the issues, sometimes you are embarrased to just run.

Have any of you ever felt the urge to just run, for no reason and you aren't dressed for it (maybe you're wearing high heels or something)? Have you just felt like running and said to yourself, "no everyone will stare at me, besides I'll be out of breath when I get to whereever I'm going."

Well kids run when they feel like it and jump and carry on. I envy children their lack of self-consciousness and ability to let loose and have fun with everything. Today I felt the urge to cart wheel after taking Luna on her walk and I did it and it was fun and now I want to do it some more. Let's all try to be more spontaneous with fitness. :)

BTW: Feminism to tomorrow 'cause the post is already a bit long.

No comments: