Saturday, November 10, 2007

McCalls 5314 and Other Musings

(note: I am completely makeup and hair brush free in these pics because I took them late at night, right after finishing the dress)


I noticed McCalls 5314 in the catalog at one of the .99 pattern sales and Hancocks was out :( and I wasn't about to pay full price for it, so I waited for the next sale and all they had was the smaller 8-12 version so I let it go and waited for the next sale and still they only had the smaller one available, so I went ahead and bought the smaller one, resolving to grade it up to a 14, not too difficult, but then I forgot about those intentions and just made it in a straight 12.


Not the worst idea I've ever had because it does fit, I just wish the sleeves were a little looser because they do feel tight even if they aren't really tight.


I'd intended this dress to be a muslin for one I would make out of the gorgeous teal polka dot silky fabirc I picked up off the 50% off rack at Hancocks, but never have got around to making it up in the teal polka dots. It was supposed to be my special dress for my vacation and just didn't happen what with preparing for the trip and school and my car troubles.

Now on to the actual construction, I used a $1 Walmart blue, scratchy, mystery fabric (its probably polyester). I love the color and always will; navy is awesome.


I made this up a month ago and nothing stands out as having been particularly difficult, oh wait, the sleeves wouldn't set right and I ended up adding more gathering so they would fit where they were supposed to, or at least, I think that's what I did. Does any pattern ever have sleeves that fit into the arm scythe? Because I've yet to find one that doesn't need finagleing. I also wish I could wear it without the camisole underneath, but this is often a broblem with wrap tops, they like to be low to get that true wrap thing going. Bummer. So here's a couple more photos of the finished product.






Now this dress is nice and I'm working on another wrap dress from a 40s pattern that will not have a neckline issue given that it goes really high and is a different sort of wrap style from this one and it will also be contracted from $1 Walmart fabric. I got there right after the latest shipment and it had 2 cotton prints that I loved and bough 5 yards f each. 5 yards is my default if I have no idea what it will become and its cheap. Sometimes if I super love the fabric and if it can be used for multiple items, I'll get more, but 5 yards is usually my limit. Oh yeah, I got a dark blue cotton with medium sized white flowers and a green cotton with small white flowers on it. Both fabrics should make for good spring dresses in a few months. In the meantime, the blue is becoming a wrap dress suitable for the spring.


In other news, the family and I went to Cracker Barrel yesterday, it wasn't as bad as I remember, but it still isn't good food(to me). The mashed potatoes have an odd after taste (no I didn't get them, my sister did and I stole a bite from her) and the collard greens were pretty inedible. I ate a few bites and couldn't finish them. I think they were cooked with beef and there was as much beef as the greens and not a savory beef either, but a stringy salty beef. Even my Dad (who loves this restaurant), couldn't eat them. On the other hand, the steak (my order) was tasty if way rare. I usually get medium rare, but this thimg was red and bloody, but I ate it anyway and it was still awfully tasty. The green beans weren't bad, a little muchy, but not bad. All in all, I don't reckon I'll give C.B. another chance. This is the second time I've gone there and had substandard food, on the other hand, the service was great and the salad was fresh and they gave us the dressing on the side without us having to ask for it.

Also, while we were at C.B. one of the waters was in their gift shop area getting something sorted out and spoke to me, man he was hot. He asked if I worked at Eastfield and we talked for a few moments Cute, but young, probably thought of me like one of his professors. I coul also be misinterpreting his coming up to me and talking to me, probably just friendliness and not flirting or anything. After a couple of moments, the people at the desk got his attention and then we had to go so sayonara nice, attractive, young man. :shrugs: I'm so bad with guys, its not even funny.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love this dress! Looks fantastic. Where are you going for your trip?

Anabolina said...

I went to Williamsburg for it the week before last, but the dress was never sewn, I suppose I can make it a holiday party, but I never go to those, oh well, good excuse to find one. :)