Monday, November 19, 2007

Simplicity 3620


I sewed Simplicity 3620 up yesterday. It was a nice way to spend my Sunday night. I've had this slightly stipped/ribbed brown fabric wating in my stash since last Spring when I bought the last 2 yards from a clearance area sale at Jo Anns. Since then I've been searching for a way to use it, but never settling for just the one way. Yesterday, when I was looking for a fabric to go with 3620, the one leaped out at me and the pattern only called for 2.5 yards of 60 inch fabric. Now I only had 2, but I 'made it work' :) I loved the red version on the pattern envelope, but having no red fabric :( I could not completely duplicate it. I also made it using the longer length, although it is a little shorter then anticipated because I slightly ran out of fabric for one of the logner peices. I also had to worry about pattern directions because of the stripes and I think I did a good job. The sleeves and bows have horizontal stripes while the bult of the dress has vertical ones.
The whole thing is long princess seams. For some reason this dress does not look good with a belt. I though about wearing it today with brown tights and a red belt and while I am wearing the tights, the belt is elsewhere.
This dress is more 60s then I normally go for, but its also hemmed as most of my garments are not. Trade off for the huge skirt is more time spent hemming. Balance and opposition.


Another angle on the dress.


The cute little bow detail, its a little lopsided, but I've decided that just make it more charming.


I don't regret making this, its probably going to be a popular dress for me this Winter too, especially with the tights. A quick comment on the pattern. It has a ridiculous amount of ease. I cut a 16 and ended up taking in the back seam about 3 inches or so and the side seams about 2 inches and the front princess seams came in about an inches each under the bust, tapering to not in at all at the hips. That's a lot on inches, and it still isn't tight or anything. Note that some of the size problem could stem from the slight stretchiness of the fabric, butit isn't that stretchy like jersey or anything and matte jersey is listed as a possible fabric type on recommended fabrics. Anyway, I don't mide all the taking in, but it did mean the pattern took much longer to sew then I expected. Also, they don't really explain how to affix the bow and mine is a little lopsided, but only I seem to notice it. The bow is the perfect size, not small and dainty nor huge and overwhelmingly 80s.
All in all, I'm happy with it and while the sleeve gathers gave me some fits, they ended up looking sute, if a little shorter then those in the pattern illustration.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE this little dress - it's so cute and versatile - you could dress it up and wear it to work, or to something more casual and not look ridiculously over-dressed. Well done!

Anabolina said...

Thanks Kathleen, your always so positive. :)

Anonymous said...

Thankyou :)