Saturday, September 15, 2007

Bicycle Commuting

Well, this idea first occured to me in the Spring, but I did nothing about it. Yesterday right there on my Google homepage was an article labeled "How to Bicycle commute" or something to that effect. I decided then and there to start and went to Craigslist. Picking at pretty slim right now with most listing either out of my price range or clear across town. I stopped at the thrift store and they had a sort of rusty, but reasonably decent used bike for $50 and that was it. Frankly, I wasn't going to pay $50 for a thrift store bicycle, especially since I don't know much about bikes. I suppose I could have driven to the nearest Local Bike Store, but didn't. I went to Wlmart and picked up the Ladies Schwinn Sidewinder. I really like the style and I sat on it and could feel myself cycling with it and it was marked down $30. I picked up a bike tool set, head and tail lights, and helmet as well, all for under $175. Now I did play around a little with tightening some screws and it took awhile to figure out the front tire release, but I feel really comfortable on my new bike.

Now why did I have to buy a new bike? Because it's been years since I owned a bike. I think the last one I owned was in Germany. I've wanted to own ones since then, but it hasn't worked out. I never get around to going out and buying one.

The weather in Dallas this past week has been perfect. This is another reason I'm thinking about bike riding. The air is so fresh, I just wast to cycle somewhere.

To get myself back in the bicycling groove, I'm going to try to do all my local errands on the bike. Eventually, I'd like to use it to commute to work a few times a week, except when I'm driving SuSu to school with me. I'm a little nervous about riding my bike home at 10 p.m. It's late and I don't work in the best part of town. Of course, it's not really a bad part of town either. There've been attacks at Eastfield before, but I'll be clipping away on a bike. I'm also a little nervous about the distance, but I'll work up to it. I could park my car in downtown Mesquite and ride the bike the 5 or so miles to campus. But you know, its only 13 miles from my house to work via side roads. It's doable and would certainly help me get my exercise thing going. Also another benefit of working at a community college is the women's locker rooms. This is irrespective of the weight room and pool which are also both awesome benefits. When I read about some people who commute and have no shower or changing facilities at work, I feel happy that Eastfield doesn't have that issue.

Oh well, time to sike myself up for bike butt. You know, that pain before your derriere gets used to the bicycle seat. It usually lasts about a week for me, but I've got to do it. You know, get in shape and save on gas. And in a nuclear holocaust, ala Jericho, I would be comfortable on my bike as transportation around the diseased and irradiated Dallasites (Dallas was one of the nuclear detonation points in Jericho.)

Wish me luck!!!

No comments: