Saturday, September 29, 2007


So I did some cooking experimentation last night (no that is not a picture of my cooking, but one I got from http://cleanplateclubnyc.com/2007/04/18/taoism/ that looked good, my sister didn't give me back my digital until this morning :luv her: ) and today. I made a couple of dishes I’d never made before. I made a Quiche and Salmon. I also made that wonderful crème brulee I’d made before and it was just as wonderful today and yesterday. I finally picked up some real ramekins. The only ones I had were 2 I got from a garage sale in Worland. Now I have 8 more courtesy of the dollar section at Target. Susie-Q and I went there before the baseball game last week to kill time since the Church is near downtown and I assumed, even though we were going mostly against traffic on a Friday evening, that we’d be delayed where Woodall Rogers hits 45N/75N/ Central. We weren’t and traffic moved along swimmingly, so we had 20 minutes to kill and stopped an exit early at Target and picked up the ramekins and some sodas.

Okay, so I’ve got some ramekins and my wonderful stomach came to the rescue against because I ate all the crème brulee between last night and lunch today, that’s 6 portions, 1 right out of the oven, another after the salmon and another right before bed, then 2 for breakfast this morning. The upside to this gluttony is that I washed the ramekins and made quiche for lunch, and now the quiche is automatically portion controlled and I only ate one for lunch. Now for the recipes…

Never having cooked any sort of fish other then nuking fish sticks, I was trepidatious about cooking anything fish, but I persevered and went up to Kroger after work. Lo and behold, the Salmon was a manager’s special and I picked up 1.25 pounds for $5, more then I’d normally pay for a protein, but it didn’t break the bank. I actually went there for catfish, but they only has 2 packages left and both smelled faintly fishy, the salmon on the other hand had no fishy aroma, so you know which one I bought J. I looked at lots of dishes online and combined them to make my own

 1.25 lb filet of atlantic salmon
 1/3 yellow onion
 ½ green bell pepper
 2 tbsp garlic
 2 tbsp olive oil or more
 8 oz of rotel style canned tomatoes, I used Italian seasoned ones
 3/5 cup of mushrooms
 8 oz feta cheese


1. Put the olive oil in the skillet to heat up on medium heat.
2. When you fell its hot enough, add the garlic, onions, bell peppers.
3. After about 5 minutes, add the tomatoes and let cook for about 3 more minutes.
4. Remove veggies to another plate, but leave as much of the juice in the pan as you can.
5. Add another tbsp of olive oil.
6. Raise heat to high.
7. Add salmon to skillet, skin side down.
8. Leave mostly alone for 10 minutes, then turn over and cook a further 7. Sprinkle half the feta on top
9. Remove from skillet and leave for a few minutes for everything to settle before eating it. Oh, and top with the feta.

I love this dish, the this dish is good for both feta-haters and fish-haters because the two flavors really neutralize the negative flavors in each other. The feta seems less sharp with the fish and the fish less fishy with the feta. Now the salmon I ate I’d bought in the store less then an hour earlier and when I got it, there were no fishy smell, so there was only the merest hit of fishiness in the finished product, but I have a feeling that even with a fishier fish, the fishiness would be cut down by the feta. Try saying that 5 times fast. J

I saw lots of bicyclists on my way to work today. Today is a beautiful day for it. The air has a bit of a fall crispness and the sun is shining merrily. I do love days like today. In fact, I think I’m going to bicycle to grandma’s house. It’s almost 3 miles away and I’ll be building on my last distance of almost 2 miles away. Hopefully, it won’t heat up too much before this afternoon. Today is also my Little’s b-day, so I’m going to call and see if she wants to do anything, or if she wants to go with me to her Fair day since the Fair started yesterday :celebrate:



Going down to Winnie next weekend. I got a coworker to switch shifts so I can leave Thursday afternoon. We should be gone by 5:00 and be at Ann’s by 10:00. It’s going to be great, or awesome. Then on Friday afternoon/evening (sometime between 5 and 8 depending) we’re going to return.

No comments: