Monday, August 27, 2007

Ruminations on My Shows

I love any shows on television. Of course nothing on the air today can compare to either DS9 or B5. Yes it is definitely possible to be a fan of both shows despite the historical rather rancorous relationship between the two fan-groups.

Deep Space Nine was great for its surprisingly quirky and appealing characters. Think Nog, at times, and the wondrous Garak, always good for a quote. I just loved it. Dad actually loaned his DVD with In the Pale Moonlight on it to a cowokers. Yes, the family tries to share the joy with others. That is one of the penultimate episodes. Now that I’m a sewer though, I look at the costumes on Star Trek and shudder. Most are just ugly. What made the costume designers think that just because humanity has evolved, we want to look bad. Do we become unfashionable do-gooders taking our fugaliousness across the galaxy?

Although I did like the dress Dax wore in the Fascination episode in Season 2.






Now B5 had the epic story line, good acting and vision. I mean, who can deny that Shattered Dreams was one of the most powerfully dramatic Sci Fi episodes, like ever. I still remember seeing that speech of Sheridan’s right before they secede and it gave and still gives me goosebumps. Now, due to the nature of the beast DS9 was able get more powerful specific episodes on average, but B5 had more meaningful seasons.

DS9 had the old Sisko episode, the Kira and the Spoonhead episode, the episode with the dead Captain, Section 31, Garak, Bashir and the un-curable disease, that whole arc at the beginning of season 6 and the final episode of 5, the one where Worf comes on the station, the one with Odo’s mistake.

B5 had dreamy Marcus, the Psi Corps, allusions to WWII (although to be fair DS9 had them too, but B5 had more and from a very different perspective), the coll end of the Shadow war, scenes with Marcus and Franklin, an actually interesting time travel episode (yes DS9 did them too, but more in the tradition of Trek versus B5 only going a few years into the past), very few really cringe-worthy episodes, the episode from the lackey’s perspective, the great Londo-G’Kar interactions. Sad that both G’Kar and Franklin are dead now….

Well, I’ve more current shows I keep up with. Last season I started, for the first time in since I was in high school and DS9 was on, I kept up with a currently produced show. That’s right, I watched Heroes and Jericho, and after they started showing reruns all the time of Scrubs, I began to watch it too. Now I also keep up with House.

I used to love Monk, but it’s lost its spark. I once watched it, then it then Psych, and now I watch Psych first, then Monk, gotta love DVR. Psych is such a hoot and those guys are seriously hot.

I got to thinking about this because I was wondering when the fall season starts again. Is it the beginning of October?

I think I should start to end every blog with a quote from something and guess what, I won’t tell you the source until the next week. You can mention it in the comments if you are smart enough to know it. So for this blog, how about…

Garak “How much damage do you think it would do to the timeline if Quark were to suffer a mysterious” pause for effect “accident?”

Sisko “I don’t know, maybe we should perform a little experiment and find out.”

They walk menacingly away. Name that episode of DS9.

1 comment:

DrTazMage said...

I believe it was Odo who made the comment about Quark suffering a "mysterious accident" in "Things Past". I could be wrong, but I too am a fan of Star Trek DS9 and Voyager as well. :)