Thursday, September 27, 2007

Williamsburg, VA for vacation


It's confirmed, I've reserved at week at Williamsburg Plantation, a place with decent to excellant reviews in, you guessed it, Williamsburg, Virginia. The average temperature in Williamsburg in October is 70, making it eminently travelable with a dog. Why, you may ask, does this matter? Because I'm going to bring Luna with me. That's right, for a $75 fee and hassel of using a pet freindly room (I call this a hassle because I'll probably be put in the older one and I've heard a couple bad things about it from online reviews) I can bring my sweet ;) little doggie.


I'm going to be there from October 27 to November 3. This means I get to drive 20 hours to get there. I don't want to fly because of Luna and I'll want to drive around while I'm there. I considered a rental car, but it hardly seems worth the expense, most don't get any better gas milage then my Taurus and I know my car and won't have to worry about returning the cars with exorbitant pings anywhere. Also it would cost more, you know how it is. I'm to stay in a 2 beadroom, 2 bath condo, yes this is for one person and her dog. Certainly more then I need, but this is what they had available. My parents offered me a condo week for my birthday. It costs $139 to use the condo with a further $39 fee since I'm not named in their account. :( It's also going to be another $75 for Luna. This does add up, but I think it's worth it. It still costs less than $40 a night for a huge 2 bd, 2 bth apartment with a jacuzzi tub and you can't beat that. I'm looking forward to seeing Williamsburg with my dog. I found the names of several restaurants that allow dogs to sit with you on the patio and if the weather is nice, that will be a great option, as will just walking around with her. I do miss that dog when I go away without her, so why not bring her with me? Well, I'll answer that. She's yet to go potty in the house, but she did go sometimes when I lived in an apartment and she couldn't go out as frequently.


I fear she may regress and I will just have to stay on top of that. Also worrisome is that this is a pet freindly unit and they are in limited supply, but this is the off season and the chick on the phone said it wouldn't be a problem, but my reservation won't go into their system for a week, so I have to call back next week to confirm. Also with pet freindly units, a dog may have gone potty on the floor and other dogs can smell that and will go there as well. As long as I take her out after feeding her and also every few hours, she should be fine. It's not like I have a job while on vacation and will have to leave her alone all day again.


Another concern is that she does bark, if I leave her alone in the condo, I don't want her to bark. She'll probably sleep, but if something interesting walks by, esspecially other dogs, she will bark at it and she has a resounding bark. I've thought about using one of the bark shockers, but I hate to do it. Do I have a choice? Alsi, she's not trained to a crate right now, but I think I should crate her in the condo whenever I'm not there, but I would certainly need to start that now so I have to pick up a portable crate. Also she sleep most of the time while we drive, so she'd be much safer and not too terribly unhappy in a crate. Hmmm, vacation considerations, I'll talk more about them tomorrow.

No comments: