Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Sorry about all the non-sewing posts: This one's about Ireland.

I've not had much time for sewing lately, so my mind has filled with other matters. Like, I really should be working on my SLIS 5080 class right now, but I'd rather blog.

Anyway, so I had lunch with the non-motivated sister and she revealed some future plans so she is no longer unmotivated. :)


I was talking about some of my future ideas including: travling around the world for a year, getting an MA in Archives and Record Managemnt from UC Dublin, and teaching English in Korea for a year or so. Thinking of all these ideas showed me that all my future plans revolve around travel and seeing more of the world. I am doing more than thinking about these plans.

For example, I'm working on my application for UC Dublin and have located a few scholarship sources whose deadlines are in the next couple of months. I plan to go to Denton this weekend to look for a letter of recommendation from my former boss in the Women's Collection and haven't decided who to ask for the other one. The application isn't due until March 30, but I reckon I'll be able to submit before January 1.

On the RTW front, I'm never going to be able to save enough money for an entire rtw trip, so I'm thinking world sections might be best. For example, 3 months in South America and come back to save again, or somthing of that nature.

Now on the teaching English front. I've been looking into some classes here at Eastfield focussed on teaching teachers ESL skills. The problem is that most occur while I'm at work, so going to them would be inconvenient.

Back to Ireland, I made a pro/con list for Ireland and I go ahead and share it.


PRO
I'd have more archivist opportunities
I'd get to wear cold weather wear
I could bring Luna
I'd get another Masters degree
I'd be paid more as an archivist (almost any job requiring a degree would pay more then what I make now)
Irish accents
Study abroad experience
Satisfy itchy feet
Something to brag about later
Will look good on a resume and something to talk about at job interviews
Reasonable prices on flights to rest of Europe
Still access American tv shows online

CON
I'm pretty content
I'd have to quit my job and tell everyone I was moving on.
It's cold
Euro vs dollar
See family rarely
Expensive
More debt to pay back
Pet Quarantine
More school (although I might not mind so much in 9 months)
Procrastinating even more on the whole marriage and kids thing

So I do have more pros then cons and when I was talking about it to Gma, she thought it was a great idea. The only thing is that I am 26 years old and I'd already had some amazing experiences living in Germany for a year and living in Wyoming for a year.

Will my 20s befilled with constant job hopping, even if the jobs are only meant to last a short time? Also, if I do this stuff, I get the feeling I'll never stay in one place long enough to meet someone, fall in love, get married, and have kids. You know? It's not something I worried about at 21, but at 26, I think about it from time to time.



I suppose there's no harm in applying to the UC Dublin program, I understand its pretty competitive, so I could be denied or waitlisted any way. Hopefully, I'll at least get the interview and an excuse to spend money I don't have flying to Dublin in April or May.

No comments: